Active vs. passive
Would you change the following sentences? If not, why not? Rewrite those that need clarification.
1. Police in riot gear fired rubber coated bullets into the crowd.
2. Later in the day, the boss himself informed the employees of the layoffs.
3. LeBron James missed a three-point shot with five seconds left.
4. Participants in the survey were asked about their changes in political affiliation.
5. Raoul avoided tall buildings and mountain roads because of his fear of heights.
6. The Legislature is considering the bill.
7. The earthquake destroyed the tiny island.
8. The class is reading the book.
9. An experimental operation was performed at the hospital yesterday.
10. The wheat field was covered by debris from the downed airliner.
Red flag: “To be” + past participle